Friday, March 6, 2009

A Toothtramatic Experience...

So as many of you know I have been suffering from a major toothache lately. I finally did something about it and it got worse, and worse, and worse. The first new dentist I went to thought he was fixing it, but apparently he realized he couldn't, so he called an Endodontist. This was Tuesday, and they couldn't see me until next Tuesday. There was noooo way that I was going to make it to next Tuesday with my head still attached to my body. I was desperate. To the point that I a went to another new dentist, and he was appalled about the way the others had taken care of my tooth. Evidently it was a big deal that I couldn't bite down on the right side of my mouth for two years. Isn't that normal. Well, come to find out, the filling was sitting right on top of my "necrotic" nerve. Yes, that means a very sick almost dead like nerve, full of inflammation, and a lot of pain. So much inflammation in fact, that they had to numb me three times to start, I think two more, and then he started with the drilling, and he hit the nerve, and I about jumped out of my seat. He asked me to try not to do that again, for fear of losing control of his drill and hacking up my mouth. Well, he hit it again, and even though I was holding on tight to my chair, I still jumped. Then to my surprise, it got worse. As he open up the chambers to my tooth, the pain was horrible, and I started to cry. I was so damn embarrassed. I felt like a five year old lying there all out of control. The dentist was so nice, even though I am sure he thought I was an idiot, for letting my tooth get so bad, and then bawling about it. Okay, on with the details. As he opened each chamber, he had to shoot the needle straight into my nerve. I thought I was going to lose it. The pain so horrible. And he did this three times. Each time the tears flowed down my face. It was intense. The poor dentist said it would feel a lot better soon, and then commented on how he had only had to do that one other time. I guess when your tooth gets so inf lammed, the nerve has a hard time shutting off. Anyway a grueling hour or so later, I was all numb, and not feeling a thing. Being numb felt so nice. I didn't feel like I wished someone would cut off the right side of my head any longer. He put me on steroids(I am still not sure why), and gave me 10mg pain pills. Wow! Party at my house! Just kidding. I am soooo sick of pills. And today, finally, I feel normal except for the tooth that aches on the left side now. Oh well, apparently I couldn't feel it because the pain on the other side was so crazy. Moral of this long story; if you think something is wrong with a tooth get it checked out quick, get it fixed right the first time (mine was supposedly fixed four times), and don't be afraid to get a second opinion. The number one thing I learned from this is that I am no wimp, and I would rather have a million c-sections, a kidney stone, be burnt in the eye with a hot poker, and suffer through these things all at once, then ever feel anything like that again! Amen

5 comments:

jaime said...

I'm sorry I was in pain just reading it. I hope it is fixed now!

The Claysons said...

I know that C-Section tid bit was for my sake! Heck no! I'd rather take the root canal. And, yes I have had a root canal without being numb! It doesn't make hacking on a woman while she's awake right!

The Duvall Family said...

I feel so bad you had to go through all that, which is exactly why I hate going to the dentist. I figure if I don't go then they won't find any cavities to work on, right???? I hope you are feeling better!

Aston said...

I know, I'm a bad person. But that was a very funny story...at least the way in which it was told was. I do feel for ya though, mouth pain is the worst and how are you not supposed to jump when someone stabs you in the mouth that already hurts!?Duh! I'm so very happy you got a second opinion, I was hoping you would. I am all about not trusting people, cuz I've heard a lot of bad stories from ppl just trusting the "opinions and advice" of self proclaimed experts!!!

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

You are serioulsy my hero! Mouth pain is the worst and for the record I would have been in tears too. I have had a never hit before and how can you not jump. You can't help but react, it's not like you can control it. SORRY! That had to SUCK!